StudioTrax Forums  

Go Back   StudioTrax Forums > Software Recording Forums > Sonar Forum
StudioTrax Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sonar Forum Dedicated forum for discussion of the Cakewalk Sonar recording software

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Grand Master & Commander

Thumbs up Panups Mods for X1!

Gotta say I love X1 but the original color schemes were not all that appealing to me. I longed for a better color scheme so I imported the colors from 8.5.3. Better but even they got a little boring after awhile so I decided to download and install some color modifications by Panup, a forum member (and very talented soul) over on the Cake forums. Needless to say Panups modifications really added some new life to X1 and I'm very happy with the new look. He has a few themes that are all very nice depending on your color preferences. If you have X1 and are looking to spruce it up in quite a big way have a look at Panups web site. http://www.sonarmods.com/

"Reindeer Theme".

Pro Cahnnel

Dead last is greater than did not finish which trumps did not start.

Win 7 Pro x 64; Sonar X3e Producer; Reaper v 4.62 AMD FX4100 3.8GHz; DDR3 24 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitoring System; KRK Rokit 5 G2

Music and SFX 4 Media
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Panups Mods for X1!

Hi George,
Been awhile since I've been in here...hope all is well.

I'm also using Panups mods and they've made a HUGE difference with my X1 experience. I truly enjoy using X1. I also downloaded the mods he made for Cakewalks plugins and VST's. I like the fact that there are so many different ones to choose from and if you have a particular request, he'll make it for you (time provided).

Also, another handy tool for X1 (made by another Sonar user (Benstat)) is the fully customizable toolbar. It provides quick access (1 click of the mouse) to the frequently used Sonar functions. SONARPLUS

The default layout of the SONAR Plus.
You can dock this anywhere on your screen as well as customize it to your personal needs....very cool and very functional!!

How's X1 working out for you? (I love it!!!)
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Grand Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patre View Post
Hi George,
Been awhile since I've been in here...hope all is well.
Good to see you Patre. Been wondering where you've been. Hope all is well with you and yours. How's the little one doing? Growing fast, eh...

Quote:
I'm also using Panups mods and they've made a HUGE difference with my X1 experience. I truly enjoy using X1. I also downloaded the mods he made for Cakewalks plugins and VST's. I like the fact that there are so many different ones to choose from and if you have a particular request, he'll make it for you (time provided).
Panup ROCKS! His color themes added new life to X1. My favorite is the "Reindeer" theme. It looks great with a dark or light background. I didn't know he makes custom themes but that's cool. Nice guy for sure. I threw a donation his way for his time and efforts.

Quote:
Also, another handy tool for X1 (made by another Sonar user (Benstat)) is the fully customizable toolbar. It provides quick access (1 click of the mouse) to the frequently used Sonar functions. SONARPLUS

The default layout of the SONAR Plus.
You can dock this anywhere on your screen as well as customize it to your personal needs....very cool and very functional!!
Saw this too but personally I don't like the idea that it runs outside of X1. I like to keep it all in the box. I have a feeling Sonar will be making some changes to the toolbar in the next major patch. Too many users are requesting it and it's obvious that the Bakers are listening to their customers.

Quote:
How's X1 working out for you? (I love it!!!)
I love it too. Skylight, smart tools, fx chains, drag and drop, screen sets, PC, etc... all very awesome. X1 has been running excellent for me. Had a few small issues in the beginning. None of them show stoppers but after X1a not a single issue whatsoever. My son-in-law built a smokin' PC for me back in October and that's what I installed X1 on. I have 8.5.3 on my old computer for editing sfx (a new venture for me) and other tasks but I barely even use it anymore. X1 is my main DAW. Can't wait to see what they add/do next with it. I wonder if there'll be anymore patch releases for X1 before they release X2? Either way it's all good. Glad you are happy with X1 and that it's working well for you. Some folks were not happy at all with X1 and had major issues, but with X1b and the latest quick fix it seems to have restored a lot of faith in the user base. There are still some people having issues but the majority of users seem to be a lot happier.

Thanks for dropping by Patre. It was nice to hear from you.

Win 7 Pro x 64; Sonar X3e Producer; Reaper v 4.62 AMD FX4100 3.8GHz; DDR3 24 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitoring System; KRK Rokit 5 G2

Music and SFX 4 Media
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah the little guys is now 10 months and attempting to walk...the 2 girls (4 & 2) are also a handful, but so much fun/interesting....I'm just blessed .

For the moment, I'm using Panups Dark scheme, but have downloaded all of them....when variety calls

I really like the Pro Channel....you can "warm" up a track very quickly without inserting any plugs and of course, all the other stuff you mentioned about X1.
I think most of the people that complained about X1 just couldn't adjust to the way X1 did things. It was more of getting used to learning the workflow of X1 which frustrated a lot (of course all the initial bugs just exacerbated their problems). My workflow is actually much, much, much faster on X1...using the screensets and setting up templates makes everything go smoother!!!!
I would like to see the Bakers continue ironing out the bugs and make this as stable as possible instead of adding more features in the newer releases, but what do I know?

I'm also happy that they've adopted a quickfix program.....(keeps the natives from being restless...lol).

If you're interested in a really good Arpeggiator, checkout KIRNU
.....and it's FREE!!!!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
StudioTrax Forums Administrator
Administrator

Hey Patre:

Thanks for weighing in on Sonar X1. I have been lurking in the wings waiting for things to settle down. The upgrade is on sale (again!! ) this weekend, $15 off, so I may just go ahead and take the plunge. Looks like things have finally started to settle down. Glad to hear that it is working well for you. Another happy customer!!!

Glad to hear the little ones are doing well too. Sounds like you have your hands full!!!

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Jim,
Yes I'm a happy X1 user!! I'm also a happy 8.5.3PE user as it is very stable on my sys., but X1 is much better (workflow-wise). I have a dual boot system on my PC and have both (8.5.3 & X1) on seperate drives....this way if one crashes, I have a backup.
I think you'll also be happy with the upgrade (just be a bit patient with learning where everything is placed....it has the same tools as 8.5.3, just accessing them is easier and different in X1).
I would also highly recommend getting Sonar X1 Power (Scott's book) as there's a wealth of info you can always refer to. X1 now comes with a Groove3 video which covers the basics of X1, but I'm thinking of also getting the new video Groove3 has just put out: "Tips & Tricks on X1". It also comes highly recommended in the Cakwalk forum. I think X1 users can get it for $39.99 ($10 off the regular price) and apparently well worth every penny.
Good luck!!

Patre
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Grand Master & Commander

Time flies. Seems like it was only yesterday when the little guy was born. And those "terrible two's"... I remember them well. Glad everyone is doing well. My daughter graduates from high school in June and my step-son graduates college next month. My Daughter continues on to college as she's going for her nursing degree. She is fortunate enough to have had a head start by attending vocational school for nursing. She's a little ahead of the game and doing very well with her studies. They grow up fast...

Pro Channel is the bomb and you're right. Really cuts down the need for other plug ins.

I'm inclined to believe that part of the issues with X1 was the new way of doing things. There were however quite a few users that had legitimate complaints not to mention old bugs left over from previous releases. X1b and the last quick fix seemed to address a lot of those issues but some still remain. No DAW is without its flaws and no matter how good it is people will always want it to do more. No matter though. X1 has been very stable for me and yeah... my work flow has also increased by a large margin.

The quick fixes were a good move on Cakewalk's part IMO. Definitely taming the "wild at heart".

Thanks for the link to Kirnu. I'll check it out.

Cheers...

Music and SFX 4 Media
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Senior Master Contributor

What am I going to do with my plugin collection now I'm getting in the swing with X1?
While the list is there available in the plugin manager, I've been finding Pro Channel covers 80% of my plugin needs during a mix. The EQ takes a bit of getting used to from the Son itus. Sound great!

Glad i found this thread as I missed the old toolbar but not sure if I need it now. And the skins look interesting. Yours is sorta Cubasish geo! Interesting.

I got so much to learn still. I just gotten in there and been using it and starting to know what i need to know if you know what I mean.

Last edited by jinksdingo : June 7th, 2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Grand Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
What am I going to do with my plugin collection now I'm getting in the swing with X1?
While the list is there available in the plugin manager, I've been finding Pro Channel covers 80% of my plugin needs during a mix. The EQ takes a bit of getting used to from the Son itus. Sound great!

Glad i found this thread as I missed the old toolbar but not sure if I need it now. And the skins look interesting. Yours is sorta Cubasish geo! Interesting.

I got so much to learn still. I just gotten in there and been using it and starting to know what i need to know if you know what I mean.
I mostly use the 64 bit version of X1. Bitbridge lets me use my 32 bit plugins in 64 bit. Yeah. Pro Channel is a great addition and it does replace most of your plugins. Compressors/limiters, EQ and nice tube warmth too. I usually use a few instances of PC on individual tracks. Really fattens and warms things up. I like Boost_11 for my main mix and either perfect Space or Sonitus Reverb on individual tracks or sends. The Sonitus plugs (all of them) are excellent.

Panups mods are wonderful. I'm using the Reindeer theme or as you put it the Cubasish look...Lol. It's easy on the eyes and I'm very comfortable with it. Might try a few other themes down the line though? Good to have some variety...

Music and SFX 4 Media
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Senior Master Contributor

Yeah! I have been a fan of Perfect Space especially with the free Bricasti IRs that were around a year or so ago.
I never warmed to Vintage Channel as it is not as intuitive as the T-Racks 3 plugs.
I think Sonar is truely a complete package. It does the job!

For my own stuff I am strictly old school with the DAW really like multitrack.
I really gotta get to grips with the editing to correct the inevitable flubs that tarnish my end result.

Need a Tutor or go to School like Protools does but mostly just need someone to show me.