StudioTrax Forums  

Go Back   StudioTrax Forums > General Recording & Recording Techniques > Recording Vocals
StudioTrax Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recording Vocals Recording Vocals techniques.

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Grand Master Contributor
Valued Patron

Default 60 Cycle Hum in Mic?

OK - I've heard about it, but didn't think I had ever experienced it recording until I did some spoken word stuff last night solo (no music or anything behind it) .... 60 cycle (I think) hum ... not horrible, but very noticeable in that kind of recording.

My new (timely) Izotope RX de-hummer, on the "60 cycle with harmonics pre-set" did a fine job of removing most all of it cleanly, but I'd rather "nip it in the bud."

What kind of things would be causing this? Is this a ground loop problem? Everything in my mic signal chain is balanced with good cables. What sort of things should I look for and try to fix this?

The chain is Rode K2 mic to it's dedicated power supply to Vintech x73i pre to dbx160a compressor to balanced Hosa patchbay to Fireface 800 and into computer (SONAR)

Any ideas appreciated!

Sound Works R&P Studio - MMB Music Page
Play the sunset .....
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Master Contributor
Valued Patron

Default Re: 60 Cycle Hum in Mic?

Not good, Ken.

I'd start by unplugging everything else in your studio one by one, whether it's turned on or not. See if you can isolate it that way.
Do you know an electrician well enough the he would do a quick earth check on your property? It's amazing how many houses were never earthed properly.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Master Contributor

The likely source of the problem is a hum field in your studio caused by the AC power lines.

Any type of dynamic mic, like the Shure SM57 or SM58, contains a voice coil that is very susceptible to picking up the hum field. Nothing can be added to these mics to control this.

Some dynamic mics like the Shure SM7B contain an internal hum bucking coil that reduces hum pick-up. Reduces, not eliminates. Other dynamic mics, like the Shure Beta 58A have more effective shielding around the voice coil that also reduces hum.

ALL dynamic mics will pick up this hum field to some extent.

Condenser mics, like the Neumann's you have or the Shure KSM mics, do not have voice coils. These mics will perform much better in a hum field. But many of these mics have output transformers that, like a voice coil, will also pick up the hum.

If the hum field cannot be eliminated, stick with high quality condenser mics with transformerless outputs. Shure KSM mics are condenser mics with transformerless outputs.

It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness and of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature, and everlasting beauty of monotony.

ABBEYVILLE ROAD
Join me on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/AbbeyvilleRoad?feature=mhum

Last edited by 2db : February 10th, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Master Contributor

I had a separate ground rod put in and connected to the fuse box and run dedicated circuits off of it. I also picked up a UPS which further isolates the room from rf and other dirty power. No more hum...

It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness and of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature, and everlasting beauty of monotony.

ABBEYVILLE ROAD
Join me on youtube
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Master Contributor

Are you using a power conditioner in a rack mount??... the better ones have RFI filters... any dimmer switches on nearby the studio... fluorescent lights, wall warts, new units in the rack with transformers in them?
Are you using a mic that has a tube in it??
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Master Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Are you using a power conditioner just a Monster pro 3500in a rack mount??... the better ones have RFI filters... any dimmer switches on nearby the studioyes but the studio is now isolated from the house current... fluorescent lights,no wall warts, new units in the rack with transformers in them?yes but plugged into the 3500 into the UPS and into the dedicated circuitsAre you using a mic that has a tube in it??several
no hum since the updates

ABBEYVILLE ROAD
Join me on youtube