StudioTrax Forums  

Go Back   StudioTrax Forums > Software Recording Forums > CUBASE/Wavelab Forums
StudioTrax Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CUBASE/Wavelab Forums Discussion area for users of Steinberg's CuBase and Wavelab Programs.

Old July 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM
Inactive Member

Default Cubase SX3 Error "Too many tracks recording at once"

Hello

Hopefully some one else has come across this problem, I have searched the Net for an answer and it seems to be a little bit of a misty ....
The problem I’m having is that when trying to record using cubase on my laptop, after 30 seconds or so cubase stops recording the audio and displays the message "Too many tracks recording at once" this message appears regardless of how many tracks are recording 1 or 10.
The only work around I’ve found for this is that once you receive the error message, deleted the track that you just recorded and start recording again on the same project and it doesn’t seem to error. But even with the work around that has so far worked (we’ll doesn’t error after 30 seconds – 20mins) I'd still like it not to error.
My laptop has a good spec and does not hit the CPU limit (not even close) and the hard drive had plenty of space left. It’s a fairly new laptop so it doesn’t need defragging (not full of crap) etc. I have tried creating a new project each time or using a template ive set up but still gets the message. The only thing my problem has in common with all the other people on the web that have reported this is that we're all experiencing the error using Vista (I cant find any one who’s getting the message on XP (Maybe a red herring or may be the problem))
I used to use Cubase SX3 on my old XP machine using exactly the same equipment and never had a problem

Equipment I’m using:
Edirol UA 101
Cubase SX3
Laptop Spec
Windows Vista
Hard Drive - 80BG (With over 40 GB free space)
RAM - 1.5 Gig

I’m hoping someone can help me with this issue as I need to be using this to do some live recording work.
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Cubase SX3 Error "Too many tracks recording at once"

Not sure but I think i might of cracked it!!! For some reason when I was checking the settings on cubase on my laptop (Under File/ preferences) some of the prefernces we're set differently when comapred to my cubase on my XP machine. I set all the settings to the same as my XP machine and all appears to work ok...no errors so far (and that from a day of testing and plugging everthing that has an audio output into my sound card) fingers crossed
I cant remember in particular which settings I changed, i think from memory I changed settings on the "editing-project & mixer", "Midi-midi file", "Broadcast wave" and "VST" settings under File / Prefernces
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
StudioTrax Forums Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for following up Eyebonk. Could be helpful to others. Glad you got it sorted out!!!

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Inactive Member

Unhappy Re: Cubase SX3 Error "Too many tracks recording at once"

Scrap that, I am still getting the error message when I tried doing a live recording. Checked the settings and everything matches the Cubase setting on my XP machine, it got to be something to do with how vista runs cubase. Not sure what else to try other than maybe creating a XP partition on my laptop and running cubase from this (which i dont really want to do)
Any suggestions would be good
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Grand Master Contributor

Sounds like there's a choke point somewhere... Interface or HDD related..

Is the Edirol Vista compatible? There are Vista drivers for it and you're up to date with them?

Are you recording to an external HDD via FW or USB?

Chigger Tracks
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Inactive Member

To be honest thats one thing I never thought of, when I installed the Edirol I just used the installation disk that came with it and put the drivers on, I didnt check if it was compatable with Vista (I will check that out)

Having said that using my backup program (Adobe Audition) on vista using the Edirol there are no problems and it records fine (just cant do anything with it when its recorded, cos I havent got a clue how audition works) which suggests to me that its not the Edirol thats the problem, I still think its a problem with cubase and Vista but not sure what.

Also Im using the internal hard driver not an external HDD

Whats a "choke point"?
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Grand Master Contributor

"Choke Point" = Traffic Jam.. Data is coming from your input source into the interface then out of the interface into the PC - The Edirol connects via USB? So, there is a "buss" or a path the input data travels to get to the processor of the PC - Perhaps several things are going thru that buss (path) at once - Input data, mouse, keyboard any other USB connected devices etc.. That's one possible "choke point". The other is related to the question about your Hard Drive that you're recording to. If it's External, then the input data gets into the PC ok but then the PC has to send it out thru a "buss" (path) to store (and play it back) it on the external Hard Drive. If the hard drive is slow (less than 7200rpm) then you can have problems or, there is too much data going thru that buss for the PC to handle - Mouse, keyboard, Cubase dongle etc...

Also, I'm not sure SX3 is Vista Compatible.. Steinberg released Cubase 4 before finishing the final release of SX3. C4 was Vista ready but I don't think SX3 ever was...

Chigger Tracks