StudioTrax Forums  

Go Back   StudioTrax Forums > Software Recording Forums > CUBASE/Wavelab Forums
StudioTrax Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CUBASE/Wavelab Forums Discussion area for users of Steinberg's CuBase and Wavelab Programs.

Old January 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Starting Member

Default Wavelab Batch Normalize question

I have just finished a recording where the Avg RMS of all the songs varies from -20.62 (low) to -14.69 (high). All 12 songs fall into this area when using the global analysis tool. I know that's a big difference between songs, but they are very dynamic.
I think I want to use Wavelabs Batch Normalize function but I'm not sure how to use it correctly. I want to import all 12 songs, scan them all for peaks, then normalize the whole batch.
Should I even be doing this? Because this is getting sent out for mastering at a very prestigious facility and I would prefer they do it all. But, I would like to at least have all the tracks at nearly the same volume prior to mastering.
What should I do?
Thanks
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
StudioTrax Founder
Valued Patron
Administrator

Default Re: Wavelab Batch Normalize question

If you are going to get them mastered DON'T use this feature. It's a compressor, and will hamper the mastering process. Don't do fade in's or outs either-leave it all to the mastering engineer.

May the Force be with you
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
There a bit more to it. This recording is percieved as 1 continous live recording, with audience in between every track. I am sending the mastering engineer 1 long track/file (12 songs/54 minutes). He will index where I tell him to.
So with that said, when I am building the final file, all my songs are going to be different levels. Should I rely on the engineer to fix this for me? Or should I do some work to it myself, prior to sending.
I'll call them and see what they recommend.

*The Normalizer isn't a compressor, is it? Doesn't it simply raise the overall floor?

Last edited by focusrite : January 17th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Grand Master Contributor
Valued Patron

Let them do it.. Song to song leveling is one of the things you're paying them for...

Chigger Tracks
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
StudioTrax Founder
Valued Patron
Administrator

THe normalizer works like that, but the meta (batch)normalizer is a type of compresser. It works of RMS levels If you tell your engineer where you want the gain raises to come in he'll do this for you. Meta normalizer won't work if it's one continuous track-it will just find the level of the highest peak and raise the song. Meta normalizer does the same, but over many tracks.
If you tell the mastering engineer what you ewant to do-i.e.- make all the music more or less the same level) within the Big Song he can do that, visually. He'll have more control than if you start compressing it and fixing it.

Old January 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Starting Member

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.
I'm just a bit concerned since my songs differ anywhere from 1db to 6db in avg RMS, plus the way that I'm building this file, they will have to only adjust the musical audio sections from the entire file. I know that's what they do, and that's what I am paying for but this differs from your average song by song cd. It will be 12 songs but I'm only sending them 1 huge song. I have to mix the crowds and audio tracks into 1 long file, then they will master and index the final version for print.
I know you understand what I'm doing here but I still think I should adjust the levels a little closer than where they are now. I'm torn on this one as I've never made a cd like this.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:04 PM
StudioTrax Founder
Valued Patron
Administrator

Doesnt matter-they'll easily be able to do it. They'll just mark an in/out region and bring up the audio in that region. More likely, they'll drop the audio in other regions to match. ~This is all very standard stuff in mastering-they do it every day, so don't worry.
Believe me-if you are asking these questions then leave it to them, as they'll be better equipped to do it.
If you do it yousrelf theres a danger of introducing noise or quantize error. Let them do what they do-it'll be no problem, I promise.

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Billy E, I really appreciate it. I will take your advise on this.