Thread: The Dirty Jobs (The Who Quadrophenia Cover)

Default The Dirty Jobs (The Who Quadrophenia Cover)

Hello Studiotrax Brothers and Sisters

After a long Hiatus on my D3200 I came back with a vengence redoing Who Covers to get my feet wet again with the machine and how to use everything again. I ended up with 8 Who songs total.This is one of them,"The Dirty Jobs" off of the Quadrophenia Album.Hope all the rock guys like these.This is the first one I posted (Thank you Geo for putting this on you File sharing site for me).Im gonna miss everyone here very much and I hope you dont mind me putting up as much stuff as I can in the next few Months.
    I Played all the instruments and did all the Vocs... Guitars are a Fender Strat and a Les Paul with a Mesa Boogie and a shure 57...Bass is Direct..Drums were simple 4mics(I need to start using overheads for a cleaner more Brighter mix). Keys are my Yammy ES6 and the Horns were using this as well.Mastered through TRacks 24
    I hope ya dig it and see that these are a pissa to do.Im a big Quadrophenia Fan and will be putting many more up as well a bunch of my original material in the next few weeks.

Lets all of us get as much tunes up as possible before the ST Shutdown..This new song forum used to be so much fun and alot of new tunes were up here almost daily.Enjoy and Thank you for checking it out!

Mr Boogie
    Brian

https://app.box.com/s/1brbjhesozx61mt4y8s0hsvqx444kkxv

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Dirty Jobs (The Who Quadrophenia Cover)

You've done good covering this song and the fact you played everything is even more impressive. I really don't want to comment to much on the mix cause I'm listening to this over stock computer speakers at work, but from what I'm hearing the instruments need more separation and balancing. Work those pans. The drums sound way over compressed to me and overall the stereo field seems squashed. We have to open this up and carve out more space for the instruments. Your solo at the end cuts through nicely and the tone is great as always. This is worth bringing back to the table for a remix. IMHO.
    ~Geo524~

Dead last is greater than did not finish which trumps did not start.

Main System: Win 7x64; Sonar Platinum; MixCraft 7 Pro; AMD Quadcore; 3.8GHz; DDR3 24 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors

System II: Win 7 Pro x64;
    Reaper v 4.71; AMD PhenomII x4 965 Processor; 3.4 GHz; DDR3 8 GB Ram; 28" Monitor; Cakewalk FA66 FW Interface; 320 GB HDD; 225 GB HDD; 120 GB HDD; KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors

Music and SFX 4 Media

Can't wait to play this for my son Brett...he's a massive Who fan...and you have done this song justice. You've captured the "epicness" (is that a word?) of the song, and your incredible musicianship is on display (as usual). Each instrument track is played/performed really well...awesome talent, my friend.

Our buddy Geo makes some valid points about the mix. There is so much going on in this song, I don't know how you can avoid the "wall of sound". The whole thing sounds great to me, but you may want to try to find a separate pan location for each instrument (and "go wide"...and maybe try a touch of the "stereo image enhancer" in T-rackS).

I'm still having trouble hearing the lyrics. Your voice is terrific (great intonation and delivery), but I think there' maybe too much processing going on. Whether it's an issue of compression or simply too much reverb, I think you should try to make the vocal punch through the mix the way your awesome guitar solo does. Remember, male vocal clarity generally sits in the lower half of the 2kHz to 3kHz frequency range. You might want to consider notching out a space within this range from the guitars (and anything else, for that matter). You don't have to keep that EQ cut for the guitars for the whole song...just when there's a vocal part.

My hat's off to you for going after songs like this...The Who! I wouldn't even know where to begin.
    Bobby C
    "...That's just my opinion. I could be wrong..."
    Dennis Miller

Gear: A mic, a mouth...and a Korg D1600Mkll

My 2 Bro's Geo And Bobby
    Thanks for ALWAYS taking a listen to my tunes guys,I know sometimes its not the easiest to listen to! Yes I think its gonna be remix and new vocs again..Im on a mission to get better. I really like the wall of sound mixes and Im not going to give up till I figure out how to do it,and you guys are huge in helping me make that happen!I put this one up cause its the biggest mix of the Who songs I have.Thank you both for all your time and efforts helping me.I hope someday I can repay you both back!!

Thank you Georgy and Brudda Bobby C!
    Brian

Brian, you almost make it sound like it's a hardship to listen to your songs. You crazy, man! I love this stuff, and truly look forward to new song posts (especially those from the Ronkonkoma Rocker). You remember how it used to be...new songs posted by multiple people seemly every other day or so. Now more then ever, it's "an event" when you post a song.

Yes, this song is deeply textured, and would be tough for anyone to mix. But you have the distinct advantage of bringing your massive musical talent to this (and all) your projects. All the good stuff is already there. Just a little fine-tuning is in order...as well as a good dose of confidence in your vocal ability. I know you know you have a great voice, but the way you present it in your mixes just doesn't say that to me. The day you decide to make your entire lead vocal track stand out the way your guitar solos do, that's when I'll know you have truly accepted ALL of your amazing talents.
    Bobby C
    "...That's just my opinion. I could be wrong..."
    Dennis Miller

Gear: A mic, a mouth...and a Korg D1600Mkll

Thank you so much Bobby
    These tunes Ive been putting up just isnt as good as the stuff I hear on this site,but this is how we get better! Man,Ill get the vocs down if it kills me..I think I should scour youtube and maybe see if I can get any tips on breathing techniques too.. Im not really getting much in terms of output (I dont Project) and I may be covering it up with Processing,which just hurts it in the long run..mixing is a whole 'nuther can 'o worms..
    I used to love the new songs section too back in the day..there used to be a 2song a month limit because there was so much material going up almost daily.I miss that here now,but at least weve been seeing some new Bobby C tunes going up so thats a huge awesome thing!Your Material has eally been sounding Great,Crisp and Clear! Youre definatly getting this stuff down now!

Again my neighbor,Thank you for all the great advice! I use it always!
    Brian

On The Shores Of Lake Huron In Northeast Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
    I know you know you have a great voice, but the way you present it in your mixes just doesn't say that to me. The day you decide to make your entire lead vocal track stand out the way your guitar solos do, that's when I'll know you have truly accepted ALL of your amazing talents.
    I've told him this a skillion times, Bobby. The boy just won't listen. I'm afraid we're gonna have to put him up for adoption.
    "Music is a fundamental human desire." - Mike Butera

"The headphones make my voice sound orange."

Life is only math: If you add more negative than positive, you always end up with negative. -richie43

If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space...

He who does not have music, has nothing...

This just in... no matter what else appears in this space, the Detroit Tigers still suck...