Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting ready to open up my D32xd........major repairs underway.

Default Re: Getting ready to open up my D32xd........major repairs underway.

Hey Pandemic,

Remember, the AC in and DC out connectors are now a different type of connector than the ones on the original supplies; the locking mechanisms on the opposite sides. DO NOT rotate the cables. However, I would recommend that you not take my word for it and double check this for yourself. If you connect the DC voltages incorrectly, you will damage your recorder. Be very careful.

Best of luck,
    Tom

Get a voltmeter, and check out what voltages are where on both old and new PSUs.
    If the connectors are all different, that could mean re-assembling them, or even splicing wires together.
    You could chop off both connectors, and match up the wires through a 'choc-block'.
    Hairy stuff!

in the misty mountains of Western North Carolina

....so the repair went up without any major hiccups. I opted to just replace the main PSU and not mess with the 12v PSU for the faders. I did not take any photo's but there is another post here with some great shots of the guts. Here is the process for repairing the main PSU.

1. flip the D32xd over on a soft surface (blanket or towel) and unscrew the 8 gold screws along each side.
    2. carefully support and flip the console back over and remove the 3 black screws on the rear (under the lip that has the switches for phantom)
    3. carefully lift the top face from the rear and slide a little forward so the case clears the headphone knob section at the front. There are 2 cables that are kind of short mounted to the main board inside. You will need to prop the console case open and unhook one of these to enable you to finish the fix.
    4. after you unhook the multicable inside..rotate the top case counter clockwise to expose the power supplies...they should be on your left side. You can rest the top case on the rails that make up the back and bottom allowing you to unscrew the power supplies.
    5. remove the connectors (there are 2) from the main PSU and note how the cables are oriented to the connector....good time to take a pic!
    6. OK..... so the PSU in my D32XD had a green ground wire that was soldered onto the ground pins @ the multiwire connector and screwed to the chassis where the PSU screws down. It looks like it was done after the fact.... I have no idea if it was factory. I ran out and got an Iron and removed it from the old PSU and soldered it onto the new one....again, it looked like a fix..I do not know if it was factory. if you don't solder..any repair shop can do this.
    7. Screw down the new PSU and replace the cables MAKING SURE THAT THE CABLES ARE ORIENTED THE SAME WAY THEY CAME OFF...THE CONNECTORS ON THE NEW PSU ARE BACKWARDS...THE TOPOLOGY OF THE CIRCUIT IS THE SAME. YOU WILL NEED TO PUT THE WIRE HARNESS ON THE WAY IT CAME OFF..THERE WILL BE NO "HANDSHAKE" CONNECTION WITH THE CONNECTORS!!!!!
    8. Button that sucker up and make some music.

cheers.
    Last edited by pandemicaudio; June 4th, 2015 at 08:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12