Thread: Suddenly jumping audio levels

Default Suddenly jumping audio levels

Hi! I haven't posted in quite a while, although I check in now and again to see what's new.

I have a Korg D1200 MKII and the last two times out recording a choir, when I get back to the home office and listen, I find that the level jumps up or down about 6 dB every 1.5 to 2 minutes.

Channels 1 and 2 have been using AKG 100 condenser mics with the Korg pre-amps. Channel 3 has Korg pre-amp turned off and is using an SM57.

Levels on all 3 channels jump at the same instant by the same amount, up or down. Can see it visually using the Scrub waveform on the Korg.

Coincidentally, I noticed today after a couple of hours burning CDs that the power supply brick and the metal bottom of the Korg under the spinning dial had both gotten so hot that I pulled my hand away and shut the unit down.

Coincidence?

Been using this unit just fine since 2005. I really hate to have to give it up. Hoping replacing the power supply is the answer to the level changes.

If that might be the problem, where would I look to find the internal power supply for this unit - I think a problem internally is what is causing the external brick to heat up.

Any thoughts or suggestions most appreciated!

Default Re: Suddenly jumping audio levels

Sounds like it might be time to look at replacing mate, 9 years is a long time in this day and age of planned obsolescence. The heat thing doesn't sound good either so it might be worth trying a new PS but it may not fix the prob with the vol drops, maybe the heat has affected other components.

IRS Recorders

Marshian Projekt @ Sound Cloud

Music speaks what cannot be said, soothes the mind & gives it rest,
    heals the heart & makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.

That's my guess too--a heat issue. Maybe the phantom power supply is not powering the mics--or it's intermittent. Try recording a radio or something constant using the same setup. Have you tried powering the mics with batteries? Just to check if it's phantom? If it is phantom power---maybe the power supply could be the issue--not able anymore to provide that power?
    Billy E
    http://www.heartbeatstudios.com

May the Force be with you

Thank you Billy. During the same recording session, in addition to the 2 condenser mics, I also had an SM57 dynamic on Channel 3, which does not have a pre-amp.

Same problem with volume increase/decrease on Channel 3 at the same instant as the increase/decrease on Channels 1 and 2.

Ian, I agree that 9 years is a long time, but I'm the kind of person that still enjoys using a rotary-dial wall phone in my kitchen.

At any rate, if I do need to replace, and I prefer a stand-alone machine vs. a lap-top PC, do you have any recommendations? Do people still make stand alone units?

John