Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impossible to install the good ol' Cubase SX3 on a new Win7 machine

Default Impossible to install the good ol' Cubase SX3 on a new Win7 machine

Hail folks,

I've got an issue with Cubase SX3 on Win7 after fighting for two days to install it.

So, till now I worked with Cubase SX3 on a good old Dual Core, Windows XP Pro without any problem.
    But with MS stopping XP support I decided to get a new machine and I did.
    CPU AMD FX, 8 Core, 4GHz 18MB Cache, 8GB RAM - running Windows7 64bit.

Oddly enough I can't even install Cubase SX3 on that machine.
    I open it as Administrator but... nope, or I tried to install it from within Safe mode... it never installs !
    It always starts the Cubase installation, asking for Serial Number etc., but soon stops on the "stein__.ttf" file, and then "Not responding"...
    Or I tried installing the last existing SX3 Update from Steinberg's website, but then it says "convif.opt could not be opened" and stops again.
    I skip installing Syncrosoft License Control in the beginning but it seems that it installs it anyway, so it seems there's NO way to stop it from installing from start (I heard that this might be the problem)!...

Now, I know Steinberg stopped support for SX3 which was conceived far before Win7 was even meant... but I know of other people who MADE IT to install SX3 on Win7 and even have it working !!
    Drives me mad. I spent money and effort to get that new machine and... I CAN'T use it !!
    I wouldn't change anything if XP didn't stop support. So, I'll possibly use for awhile my XP machine only for SX3 as standalone, uninstall the antivirus and never go online from it.
    I start wondering would it be reasonable in the close future to quit Windows and use Cubase on a Mac or even quit Cubase and take ProTools ?...

Any suggestions or experiences would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.
    BD
    Last edited by Bad Disciple; May 12th, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Impossible to install the good ol' Cubase SX3 on a new Win7 machine

Hi BD and welcome to Studiotrax. This is a long shot and mostly just a guess on my part but try installing it again with your virus protection temporarily disabled. Sometimes but not always virus protection can interfere with installing certain types of software. I would've initially guessed your Cubase version was to old for Win7,but as you've already stated you know others that installed it on Win7 machines.

Have you checked out Reaper? It's a fantastic DAW and will definitely work on your new machine. http://reaper.fm/

Good luck with whatever you decide...
    ~Geo524~

Dead last is greater than did not finish which trumps did not start.

Main System: Win 7x64; Sonar Platinum; MixCraft 7 Pro; AMD Quadcore; 3.8GHz; DDR3 24 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors

System II: Win 7 Pro x64;
    Reaper v 4.71; AMD PhenomII x4 965 Processor; 3.4 GHz; DDR3 8 GB Ram; 28" Monitor; Cakewalk FA66 FW Interface; 320 GB HDD; 225 GB HDD; 120 GB HDD; KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors

Music and SFX 4 Media

Welcome 'Bad'
    You might have read about my troubles with an old version of Sonar, on a similar new fangled machine. I gave up and bought Cubase 7 in the end, and that seems to work fine. So I recommend upgrading your Cubase.

Welcome to StudioTrax BD. I hope you get your problem sorted.

One option is to just leave it on XP if it is working OK. You could set up a new system for other purposes and dedicate the old machine (or hard drive if you want to go with the dual boot feature) to just supporting Cubase. No need to even have it connected to the Internet.

Or if you are going to have it connected, just make sure you have a current version of your favorite virus protection software installed and keep it updated. Many of the virus protection providers plan to support XP for some time to come for this very reason. Just a thought!
    Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar; save perhaps two. - Frederick Chopin.

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Sonar Platinum; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface

Quote Originally Posted by geo524 View Post
    Hi BD and welcome to Studiotrax. This is a long shot and mostly just a guess on my part but try installing it again with your virus protection temporarily disabled. Sometimes but not always virus protection can interfere with installing certain types of software. I would've initially guessed your Cubase version was to old for Win7,but as you've already stated you know others that installed it on Win7 machines.

Have you checked out Reaper? It's a fantastic DAW and will definitely work on your new machine. http://reaper.fm/

Good luck with whatever you decide...
    Well, I already tried with the AV disabled. But I was told something clever, by guys who installed SX3 on Win7 by copying the installation DVD on a HD and erasing that License stuff and then they say installation worked. I may try this in the summer holidays as now it already took me many days off of my work to fix alone the new machine and all that going around the problem.

On the other hand, I try to save the good stuff that works well and I also use it as a tool and not as a goal - it's my choice. So Cubase was quite a challenge to learn in the years back, as is very good but not that intuitive with its complexity etc., so once I've learned it, I'm a bit reluctant to start learning another complexity anew. Unless if (your suggestion) Reaper IS clearly intuitive and user friendly in its functioning... Also, is not Reaper mostly made for those "loop and paste" kind of works? Or do I confound it with "Reason"?

Quote Originally Posted by slouching raymond View Post
    Welcome 'Bad'
    You might have read about my troubles with an old version of Sonar, on a similar new fangled machine. I gave up and bought Cubase 7 in the end, and that seems to work fine. So I recommend upgrading your Cubase.
    Yes, that seems the shorter solution but with its cost. For the moment I'll stick to combining what already works with what's new and will walk quietly ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINO View Post
    Welcome to StudioTrax BD. I hope you get your problem sorted.
    Thanks, it slowly starts taking the shape of sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by 19 frets View Post
    One option is to just leave it on XP if it is working OK. You could set up a new system for other purposes and dedicate the old machine (or hard drive if you want to go with the dual boot feature) to just supporting Cubase. No need to even have it connected to the Internet.

Or if you are going to have it connected, just make sure you have a current version of your favorite virus protection software installed and keep it updated. Many of the virus protection providers plan to support XP for some time to come for this very reason. Just a thought!
    Yes, I already see that solution as the best for my case at the moment.

BTW, YES (!) "nothing more beautiful than a guitar" ...or few... without or with some girl around as well? ;-)
    By the way, the guitar is the third and only instrument - after the piano/organ/keyboard and the harp - that is able to play music like an orchestra ! Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Bad Disciple; May 14th, 2014 at 05:29 AM.

Just as info:
    Somebody gave the idea of copying the SX3 installation DVD to a HD and erasing the LicenseProtection app and install... NOPE, it DOESN'T WORK, the installation ASKS for it and stops !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast