Thread: Cubase 7 Elements learning curve novice

Default Cubase 7 Elements learning curve novice

Just got my installation done.
    It said 'Do you want to install Adobe Reader', so I said yes, then it went on to attempt to download and install the reader PLUS Google Toolbar and Google Chrome. It took ages to attempt that and it failed to install the last two (which I didn't want anyway).
    Then had some fun regarding a USB licence key, which I don't have.
    I seem to have now pursuaded Cubase to use a Soft Licence Key.

Just a first exploration of setting up a project, I defined an Audio track, but I haven't a clue how to route one of my 8 focusrite18i8 sources to that track.
    It was fairly intuitive on Sonar, and the Audio routing was on the top bar.
    I think I have a lot of reading to do.

Default Re: Cubase 7 Elements learning curve novice

Hang in there Raymond. Remember it is a journey. I have not doubt you will reach the final destination!
    Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar; save perhaps two. - Frederick Chopin.

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Sonar Platinum; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface

Gettin' there! Got the channels sorted now, and nearly ready to try recording.

Hey Ray, Sid Chigger is a Cubase wizard and I have a few years in myself. Don't hesitate to ask questions as they arise.. Onward!

"Want to learn to write songs?...Listen to Merle Haggard" ~ Tom Waits

Thanks guys. I think I'll be trying to record tomorrow. There's less to go wrong in the basic version. I need to concentrate on getting the basics right, Composition - Performance - and Capture.
    They do give you pitch correction on this cheap version, but I aim to sing straight.
    Watch this space...

Quote Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
    Hey Ray, Sid Chigger is a Cubase wizard and I have a few years in myself.
    Wizard is a stretch, Raymond... But, I look in here everyday and will certainly try to help if I can..
    i7 970, 12gb, UAD2 Quad x2, FF800, Cubase 7, WaveLab 7

Chigger Tracks

Well, partial success today.
    I tried recording a single classical guitar piece, not that it is practiced enough. I had a Rode NT5 on the body, and another near my fret hand (maybe get some fret noise), and the Rode K2 overhead where it lives, and the electro-classical output as a fourth (main) channel.
    To complicate things, I set up 3 cameras all in close proximity, since when I do get sorted, that will be normal.
    With all that going on, plus headphones, and reaching over the music stand to work the PC, it is pretty difficult to concentrate on sight-reading an unfamiliar piece. But, why make life easy when you can make it hard?

The good news is I have 4 beautiful tracks captured in Cubase, and saved.
    The bad news is I messed up the performance after about 20 seconds (expected), and also I have not yet succeeded in listening to those captured tracks. When I click on Play no sound comes out of the monitors or headphones, nor do I see any activity in the master out channel in the Mix view.
    I shall be looking through the manual some more, but interestingly, when I turned off ther PC, the Windows closing jingle came out of the studio monitors.

Check in control panel..."sounds" and make sure your recording interface is specified for audio. Also (just random suggestions) make sure the little monitor icons arent activated on the recorded tracks' channels. Also...under "connections" make sure that in the "output tab."not connected" is selected...I know, seems counter intuitive, but try it.

"Want to learn to write songs?...Listen to Merle Haggard" ~ Tom Waits

Just fired it up again to try your suggestions Ramrod. They didn't do it, but looking further, it had to be some kind of connection setting. Then I clicked up a 'Channel Settings' window, and changed No Target in each track to 'Stereo', and then did something similar to the Output stereo master, and BINGO!!!!!

Now have sound coming out of the monitors!

Searching Cubase No Sound on google shows this is a common problem for uninitiated users.

Thanks Ramrod!