Thread: 64 Bit Question

Default 64 Bit Question

Diving deep into this new Cubase version...wow! I'm going to do a little more serious review as soon as I know I'm out of the woods with this.

Meanwhile..I imported all the audio files from a v.5.5.3 project into the new 64 bit program. The 32 bit project was running at about 1.34GB on the Task Manager performance meter....with all kinds of plugins and processing.

In the v.7 project, just the audio files (same SR and bit depth)..read 2.2 on the meter...almost a GB more! and no processing! What's up wi'dat? Is that normal in 64bit? Is Cubase 7 64 just a pig by itself?..or do I have some kind of setup issue?

Everything else seems fine...awesome in fact..so..wha?

Default Re: 64 Bit Question

Probably pretty normal Rod. Yes, 64-bit apps will take more storage space. Remember, you have doubled the word length (cpu instruction size) from 32-bit to 64-bit. But you have also doubled the size of the instruction being processed in the cpu. So on one hand you take up more physical storage, but your processor is working much more efficiently.

The actual audio .wav files should take up just about the same amount of storage in the old projects as the new. That part isn't really changing. It is just the programs I believe.
    Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar; save perhaps two. - Frederick Chopin.

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Sonar Platinum; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface

Default Re: 64 Bit Question

I agree with James... Win 7 is a pig as is c7.
    i7 970, 12gb, UAD2 Quad x2, FF800, Cubase 7, WaveLab 7

Chigger Tracks