Thread: Hey, anybody know about this thing?

Default Hey, anybody know about this thing?

Hi;

I saw one of these micro units in a pawn shop today for $100.
    Does anyone know anything about this recorder? The good, bad, or ugly?
    It uses "smart media," which was like, the first generation of cards before Compact Flash, right? I don't even know if you can get them...

GJ

Default Re: Hey, anybody know about this thing?

Linky?

Want to learn to write songs?...Listen to Merle Haggard ~ Tom Waits

Hey Ram,

I'm iPod'ing it right now, so I can't post any links (a bit of a pain), but if you Google the model, a bunch of hits come up, including units for sale. I Also saw a Sound On Sound article from 2001, which talks about data compression and very short recording times. Plus, it does use SmartMedia, which is apparently still out there, but pretty expensive. I guess this is not the unit for me, even at that price. I'd be using it more for back-up/redundant live/location recording, and/or second-system audio for video. This thing is more like a one-song-at-a-time 4-tracker.

GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Juke View Post
    Hey Ram,

I'm iPod'ing it right now, so I can't post any links (a bit of a pain), but if you Google the model, a bunch of hits come up, including units for sale. I Also saw a Sound On Sound article from 2001, which talks about data compression and very short recording times. Plus, it does use SmartMedia, which is apparently still out there, but pretty expensive. I guess this is not the unit for me, even at that price. I'd be using it more for back-up/redundant live/location recording, and/or second-system audio for video. This thing is more like a one-song-at-a-time 4-tracker.

GJ
    So...do I Google "micro unit"? or what? Sorry if I'm missing the "model"...name of recorder, etc.

Oh, no, sorry... I should have been more clear. It's the title of the folder we're in-- Korg (Toneworks) PXR4. Palm-sized 4-track recorder.

GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Juke View Post
    Oh, no, sorry... I should have been more clear. It's the title of the folder we're in-- Korg (Toneworks) PXR4. Palm-sized 4-track recorder.

GJ
    ...I knew I was just missing something.

I'm looking at any and all field/remote recording platforms right now. So...I'll have a look.

If you're just going stereo, and you want digital convenience, I can cast a vote for the Zoom H1. So far, so happy, and they just put out a hip firmware update.

GJ

PS-- Ram, if for some unforeseen reason, you decide that the PXR4 is just the thing for you, and $100 is just the right price, let me know. We could make arrangements, and I'd be glad to pick it up for you. This pawn shop is a pretty neat place; lots of cool stuff. I'll definitely be back there...

GJ