Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixoff VI - mewsician Critique Thread

Default Re: Mixoff VI - mewsician Critique Thread

I would definitely rethink the delay if I were to do this again, I don't really have an explaination for why I chose to do that, maybe a senior moment!?

As for the acoustic, that is a result of the focus on Julies voice.
    As I mentioned, while choosing the processor settings, my focus was on the vocal, and secondly making sure the drums had punch, as they were sounding so good, and already had nice presence.
    Suddenly, after I became happy with the sound of julies singing, and the punch of the drums, I realized the guitars had gotten some benefit also, which was sort of a happy accident really, since we didn't have the individual tracks to work with, and that made me smile.
    I forgot to mention, that Instead of the multiband in Ozone 3, I used the Sonitus Multiband Copmpressor, it had a midrange sparkle that I couldn't find in Ozone.
    I've been using that Sonitus Multiband for a while, and have learned to get the most out of it. It's a very good compressor, for those interested.
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I"m very grateful.
    Andy, just so you know, most people who critique my mixes think they're too bright, so you're most likely right when you say, "it might be a skoch much" .
    I wish I could still hear those frequencies, but old age, and years of gigging....

Regards,

Yeah, whatever delay effect you had at the beginning makes it sound like the stereo tracks got out of sync. It's a little over-compressed (look who's talking ), but not too bad. Otherwise, it sounds pretty well-balanced. Good work.
    Never pet cats that you don't know. No, never pet anything.

Stephen:

Lot's of punch and sparkle with this one. Really big sound here. Song really comes alive with this master. I think you were right to focus on the vocals for your choice of processing. To me the vocals are the most important thing in a song.

I went overboard with the reverb and delay in my mix. I must have had that same senior moment. But this is the way we learn, right?

You have a nice mix here. I bet if you knocked out the delay, it would sound a bit clearer and still retain all of it's punch and brightness.

Whatever you are doing, keep doing it. This is a really nice master. Wish mine had come out nearly as good. Thanks for sharing.
    Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar; save perhaps two. - Frederick Chopin.

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Sonar Platinum; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface

I appreciate that guys.
    I sometimes wonder if I'll ever really get the hang of the mastering process.
    It was fun though.
    Thanks, and also to The Mosiacs for furnishing such an interesting piece of music to work with.

Regards,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12