Thread: Regarding exporting songs to computer

Default Regarding exporting songs to computer

Hello. I've been using the Korg D1200mkII in my make-shift home studio for almost a year to record songs. I've built up a considerable amount of recordings now which are essentially finished. I know how to create a finalized CD, but I also want to export these songs to my computer. I've perused through the user's manual a few times now but am a bit confused as to how I would go about doing this. I have a few questions that pertain to this problem:

1. Let's say I have a song I want to backup to the USB drive. Do I need to copy the bounced master tracks to the "clipboard" and then paste them to a new song? If so, how do I go about doing this?

2. If I have something "backed up," how do I go about putting the song onto my computer via USB? I've tried this before and wasn't able to really figure out what I was doing.

3. If and when I get these songs on the computer, are they in .wav format? (I eventually want to get these songs onto some websites in mp3 format, so I'm trying to clarify what conversions need to take place.)

Any information or tips from someone more experienced than I would be much appreciated. I'm not very good with anything technological and it takes me a little while to get the hang of things, so some of this stuff is probably simple and easier than I'm making it.

Thanks,
    Wes

Default Re: Regarding exporting songs to computer

Page 73 of the user manual titled "Exporting a wav file" walks you thru step by step on how to export your song to the USB side of your harddrive. After you have done that you will need to connect the D1200 to your computer, you will then use your computer to transfer the files unto you computers harddrive. Once I transfer my waves off of the D1200 I delete them off of the D1200 USB partition.

The procedure to connect to USB is 0n page 77
    Last edited by CraigD; August 17th, 2007 at 08:48 AM.

CraigD's advice is right on. Just to expand a little on his good advice, there are two ways to transfer Korg Songs to the PC via USB:

Backup Song- This is Korg's proprietary file format and and can only be used to restore the song back to a Korg recorder. It backs up all tracks, all effects settings, scenes, automation, etc. It is basically a "snap shot" of the Song in its current state on the Korg. It is useful to restore a Song onto the Korg for further processing and for saving all your settings as they are. It can NOT however be used on any other outboard equipment such as your PC or another recorder.

Export Wave File - This format is designed to convert your track(s) to a more common interchange format - a wave file. This format can be used to move your tracks to another piece of gear like a PC or another recorder for further processing. This format however will not restore the song to the Korg with all the effects, scenes, automation, etc. You can equate this to making a copy of each track in a common format. The advantage to this method is that it is interchangeable with other systems. The disadvantage is that you lose all your set ups for effects, etc.

Bottom line - Korg "Backups" are intended to be used to restore a song and all of its set up parameters to the Korg for further use. "Wave Files" on the other hand are designed to take the raw tracks on your Korg and convert them to a format that can be used to exchange files among different systems, but you lose your Korg specific setup parameters. Each one has its intended use and offers different benefits.

I use both. I "backup" Songs so that I can restore them to my Korg if needed and I also create "Wave files" because I know that someday, my Korg will be obsolete, but I want to preserve the original recordings, whether it is the raw tracks or the bounced tracks (master tracks) which include the results of the Korg processing. Therefore, I usually make Wave File copies of both the raw tracks and the processed master tracks from the Korg.

Hope this helps with understanding the difference between the two and why you would use one vs. the other.
    Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar; save perhaps two. - Frederick Chopin.

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Sonar Platinum; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface

Yep, definitely archive WAV files whether or not you archive Backup files.
    Mix Opinions and Audio Mastering by iqi616 http://iqi616.com

Quote Originally Posted by 19 frets View Post
    CraigD's advice is right on. Just to expand a little on his good advice, there are two ways to transfer Korg Songs to the PC via USB:

Backup Song- This is Korg's proprietary file format and and can only be used to restore the song back to a Korg recorder. It backs up all tracks, all effects settings, scenes, automation, etc. It is basically a "snap shot" of the Song in its current state on the Korg. It is useful to restore a Song onto the Korg for further processing and for saving all your settings as they are. It can NOT however be used on any other outboard equipment such as your PC or another recorder.

Export Wave File - This format is designed to convert your track(s) to a more common interchange format - a wave file. This format can be used to move your tracks to another piece of gear like a PC or another recorder for further processing. This format however will not restore the song to the Korg with all the effects, scenes, automation, etc. You can equate this to making a copy of each track in a common format. The advantage to this method is that it is interchangeable with other systems. The disadvantage is that you lose all your set ups for effects, etc.

Bottom line - Korg "Backups" are intended to be used to restore a song and all of its set up parameters to the Korg for further use. "Wave Files" on the other hand are designed to take the raw tracks on your Korg and convert them to a format that can be used to exchange files among different systems, but you lose your Korg specific setup parameters. Each one has its intended use and offers different benefits.

I use both. I "backup" Songs so that I can restore them to my Korg if needed and I also create "Wave files" because I know that someday, my Korg will be obsolete, but I want to preserve the original recordings, whether it is the raw tracks or the bounced tracks (master tracks) which include the results of the Korg processing. Therefore, I usually make Wave File copies of both the raw tracks and the processed master tracks from the Korg.

Hope this helps with understanding the difference between the two and why you would use one vs. the other.
    I recently performed a song backup and then transferred to my pc via usb. However when I clicked on the file it stated that it could not play because it was .dbk file. I don't mind not having it play on my pc but I just want to know that all tracks and effects are saved in the file in case i ever need to get a new d1200 or
    3200 etc. and do a restore. Is this accurate?
    Thank you,
    N

"I recently performed a song backup and then transferred to my pc via usb. However when I clicked on the file it stated that it could not play because it was .dbk file. I don't mind not having it play on my pc but I just want to know that all tracks and effects are saved in the file in case i ever need to get a new d1200 or
    3200 etc. and do a restore. Is this accurate?"

The only way I know to insure a Korg proprietary .dbk file works and contains everything is to do a restore to a different song (so as not to overwrite the original) and check it to make sure everything is there.
    Last edited by 19 frets; January 21st, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
    Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar; save perhaps two. - Frederick Chopin.

19 frets (Jim)

System 1 - Win 7 Ultimate; Pro Tools 11.1.2; Sonar Platinum; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; System 2 - Win 7 Home Premium; Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 1TB int. WD drive; RME UFX interface; System 3 - Win 7 Ultimate; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 256 GB int. OCZ Vector SSD; RME UFX interface

Quote Originally Posted by McCrae View Post
    ...If and when I get these songs on the computer, are they in .wav format? (I eventually want to get these songs onto some websites in mp3 format, so I'm trying to clarify what conversions need to take place.
    Check out Format Factory, it's an easy to use conversion program (freebee). No hassles, and your original waves are left intact.

Good Luck Wes ..... and to
    Last edited by shboom; January 21st, 2015 at 05:31 AM.
    "....some people I know are like blisters....
    ... they show up after the work's all done!"

www.shboom.ca